My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bringing It In the Kitchen When You're a Social Butterfly




This time last year I was heavy into celebrating my newly-minted PhD. Mojitos, lychee martinis, or margaritas almost always accompanied all of my celebratory lunches and dinners with friends.

After all the confetti-throwing had died down and before summer had even arrived, I was busting out of all but two pairs of jeans. Never again, I say.

It's Spring Time again and I am once again a social butterfly. But, this time I refuse to return to my previous state of fat caterpillar. I am committed to moving forward, to getting fitter and fitter as I journey deeper into the X. By the end of 2008, I will have a six-pack.

So: How do I do it? How do I say no to rum-soaked mint-leaves or even just to a handful of peanuts at a local bar, especially when everyone around me is blissfully partaking in the oral festivities?

First, I have to tell you, it is not always easy. In fact, it is never easy! Having a drink here and a quesadilla there (or even just an extra serving of rice) with friends is most enjoyable. I won't try to fool you or myself--sipping on a tall glass of seltzer water with a twist of lemon at a bar or restaurant ranks very low on anyone's fun scale, including my own.

But, I know that if I want to avoid frustration and disappointment with my results, I really do have to Bring It in the Kitchen AT LEAST SIX TIMES A WEEK. I want the hard work that I do on the mat day in and day out to be visible to the naked eye. I don't want my muscles hiding somewhere underneath layers of fat.

"You only live once," some would say, "so why not enjoy this ______ (fill in the blank with food item) now."

Life is about choices (I know, how cliche), I would say (to myself, because I don't argue with folks with a plate of food in front of them) and I choose to eat clean now so that tomorrow I won't wake up discouraged, frustrated, and full of regret.

And please don't get me wrong. I am no saint--once in a great while, I'll indulge in a non-cheat day burger or drink. But, if I am to see the kind of results that I am seeking, such infractions cannot happen on a habitual basis.

I love fitting into my size 2 or 4 jeans, my small or extra-small tops. I love being comfortable in the tiniest of bikinis. I love the feel of being fit. I love not being embarrassed to undress in a collective fitting room. I love that almost everything I try on fits.

Yes, you only live once, how very true. So, before you leave your house to go out on the town, think about how you want to live, how you want to look, how you want to feel and then follow through.

BRING IT!

Barbie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is difficult and especially in the summer. But you're right, if you want to look good, you have to sacrifice.

And to be honest, after the fun, I do feel guilty with the drinks.

Nazly