My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Saturday, July 12, 2008

99% is a Bitch; 100% is a Breeze



"There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when it's convenient. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results." Ken Blanchard, Chief Spiritual Officer of the Ken Blanchard Companies and coauthor of over 30 books, including the classic best seller The One Minute Manager (source: Jack Canfield's, The Success Principles)

***

Whether I'm sad or happy, whether I feel like bringing it or not, whether I'm on fire or feeling completely flat, I BRING IT.

No excuses. Period.

Rumor has it that I might be a robot. No, I'm not; I'm just committed.

I just ran across the title of Jack Canfield's 35th Principle: "99% is a Bitch; 100% is a Breeze" and without really knowing what the chapter was about, I instinctively knew it applied to me.

The catchy phrase refers to commitment. When you're 100% committed, there is no room for excuses. You do what you have to do because in 100% there is no room for excuses.

Yup, I was right. The phrase does apply to me.

When people write to me or post on the forums that they're "just not motivated to work out today," I often respond that motivation has nothing to do with whether you Press Play or Eat Clean. If I were to wait for inspiration to propel me into action, I would probably only be bringing it on the mat and in the kitchen (and in all other areas of my life) about half the time.

I Bring it day in and day out, regardless of how I'm feeling (except if I'm sick, of course!) because I committed, not because I always feel like it. That has been the key to my success and that is the key to yours. I am sure of it.

Those who struggle with pressing play or eating clean might find the following excerpt in Canfield's book enlightening:

---

"This powerful 100% commitment also figures critically in other important areas--for instance, the workplace. Consider what a commitment to just 99.9% quality would mean in the following work situations. It would mean:

  • Two unsafe landings at O'Hare International Airport each day
  • 16,000 lost pieces of mail per hour
  • 20,000 incorrectly filled drug prescriptions every year
  • 500 incorrect surgical operations performed every day
  • 22,000 checks deducted from the wrong account each year!" (p.205)
---

Luckily, for most of us, the consequences of being only 99% committed to bringing it are not that dire. However, being 100% committed could save you a lot of mental torture and could make all the difference in whether you reach your health and fitness goals or not.

How committed are you?

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Bring it!

Barbie, PhD

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, heck yes! I like this post! And I identify with robot-mode too! That's the perfect advice on how to approach fitness/eating clean. Huttah!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a good book!