My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Time to Fitness



You may not believe this, but I was still fat ten months ago. My BeachBody journey didn't begin until August 2007.

I remember walking into a department store fitting room about this time last year and noticing the fat rolls on my back for the first time.

Maybe it was the mirror or the lighting, I reasoned. Maybe it was the bra. Surely those rolls could not be mine.

I'm giggling as I write this, I think because I recognize our extraordinary power to delude ourselves sometimes and to come up with excuses for not changing our behavior. But really, who was I kidding? Surely not myself! The image in front of me did not lie: I had gotten fat.

My weight would continue to climb for another two months until I hit rock bottom: the point where I said, "Enough is Enough! Slim in 6, here I come!"

When you think about it, ten months is not a long time in the grand scheme of things. It seems like only yesterday that I was furious with my hair stylist for making me look like a poodle. (That was four months ago and I'm happy to report my hair has grown back.) It seems like only yesterday that I rang in the New Year, and holy moly, it's almost June! My mom is right, time does seem to go by more quickly the older you get.

But, when you're out of shape and desperate to see changes, what I call the "time to fitness" seems like an eternity away. The dissatisfaction you feel with your body can make six weeks or thirteen feel like an entire decade.

Oh, boys and girls, that's just your psyche playing tricks on you!

I'm not saying that the road to a thinner, fitter, and healthier you will be like a delightfully short walk in the park. No. I'm telling you to get your shoes on and start walking because you're closer than you think.

Bring it!

Barbie

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My moment came when my size 16 Levi's were getting really really tight. UGH!! How could I let myself get like this??
I always thought that I was destined to be F-A-T. I had the genetics for my body type. I could never quite figure out how ladies who had 3+ kids could slim back down and look gawrrrrgeous (Tony's voice).
I didn't have the time to cook healthy or the time to exercise. Ok, let me ask you something if you are reading this... do you have the time to die?
Commit - Decide - Succeed. 30 lbs down, 30 more to go.

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

What do you mean, "Do you have time to die?" EXPLAIN?!!

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

I'm sitting here pondering that question...

pebs said...

I think the previous poster was simply stating that if you DON'T make time for fitness, you're going down a path to a lesser quality of life - in other words, death. I can't speak for them (although I appear to be trying!) but that's how I interpret their comment.

To me, my early morning WOWY time is sacred. If I don't get my WOWY time with my buddies, I'm a cranky Pebs and that's never good. I may not have my eating 100% in line to lose this last 10-15 pounds but getting up and working out each morning makes me feel great!

I know for many the journey towards fitness is like riding in the car with children (are we there yet mom?). We all want the unwanted pounds to disappear overnight even though they certainly did not appear overnight! Keep plugging away and the results will come! Thanks for an awesome post Barbie!

Anonymous said...

Yes, the dressing room mirrors and lights.  I have always hated them.  But thanks to the threads and Debbie, I no longer fear them.  I even try on swimsuits now.  It is so much fun.  I'm going to have to win the lottery to buy all the clothes I need.  My closet is cleaned out and I could not be happier.

Coach Ange, MSW said...

girl, i always say time wait for no man or woman!!! we gotta bring it and we gotta bring it hard!!

it is time to fitness.. its now or never...

Lisa B said...

Another wonderful blog entry by Barbie! My moment came in late December 07 when my "emergency size" clothes no longer fit me. I said I can either just give up and buy a whole new wardrobe of bigger clothes and accept my growing size. Or, I can do something about it. Decide, commit, succeed. 20 pounds later I'm SO glad I chose the latter option. The ironic thing: Now I need to buy all new clothes in a size 4. But that's a GREAT (although expensive) issue to have. I'm bringing it with P90X.

Bree said...

"time to die" : America is being overrun with obesity, diabetes, heart disease and many other health issues BECAUSE we don't make time to exercise and eat right.
That's what I meant.

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

I knew it was you, Bree. :)

And then when Pebs wrote what she wrote, I got it.

Yup, we say we don't have time to exercise, but that is really saying that we have time to die, which is not reeeeeeeally what we want.

Way to go, Bree, on dropping 30 pounds!! Dayum! I remember the first time you wrote to me! Your journey has not been easy, but you're a trooper, like so many of my peeps, and you're making it happen!

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Pebs, what is stopping you from getting you eating down to drop the last ten pounds?

I'll be doing a blog post on that very question. Please look out for it.

I know you have a coach with whom you have contact regularly, but if there's anything I can do to help, please reach out to me. You're a faithful Slim Spotter and I'd be happy to help.

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

I will always hate the dressing rooms in dept stores!! I went in there the other day and the lighting or something in them has the power to distort even a fit body! I mean, I could tell I am in shape, but let's just say, I look better in public or at home!

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Lisa,

Way to go, baby!! 20 lbs!!! Size four just rocks, I must say! I'm between a 2 and a 4 right now. I just love it that shopping for clothes is no longer a struggle and depressing! Seriously, though, it is expensive! So what, BRING IT!

Barbie