My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Monday, May 19, 2008

Get Your Mind Right!



A few weeks ago you started your fitness program off with incredible enthusiasm. Something had clicked inside you: you were going to get this weight off and get fit once and for all. I could see it in your eyes, I could sense it in your emails and forum posts: Nothing was going to get in your way this time. You were going to CRUSH Slim in 6, P90X, or whatever program you had chosen. Your enthusiasm and commitment were at an all-time high.

But now that you are somewhere in week 3 or 4 (or 5, 6, 7, etc.), you have mysteriously and disappointingly stopped feeling that fire. Where'd your mojo go? Getting yourself to push play is getting increasingly difficult, eating clean has begun to feel like a real drag, and ugh, the feelings of failure have begun to creep in. A few missed workouts or a few days of not eating well have magnified your sense of failure and dissolved your resolve. Perhaps you haven't admitted it to yourself yet, and I know you haven't admitted it to me, but you're beginning to wonder if you'll ever make it through the program.

Well, Barbie is here to remind you once again that you are not a snowflake. You are not as unique as you think. We ALL have days or even weeks where we just don't feel like bringing it. We all have days where our eating is less than stellar, perhaps even horrible.

Luckily, perfection in not necessary. If you want to succeed, you just need to Get Your Mind Right.

Listen up!

You do not have to always WANT to Bring It in order to Bring it.

And WHILE you're Bringing It, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FEEL LIKE Bringing It. It really is okay to just show up and go through the motions. Trust me on this one, if you keep showing up every day, you'll eventually get out of your slump.

If you have had a string of bad eating days, leave the guilt behind and commit to eating clean the following day.

It is unreasonable to think that you can sustain the same energy level that you had during the first week. Do not depend on that initial feeling of enthusiasm or even euphoria to get you through the program. That feeling won't last. Understanding that will get you far and will get you to where you want to be.

Get your mind right. Don't let your feelings get the best of you.

DECIDE. COMMIT. SUCCEED.

Bring it!

Barbie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that, Barbie - "perfection is not necessary". When I did SI6 the first time, I did everything nearly perfect and got good results - not quite as much as I wanted for how hard I worked, but pretty good none the less. However, keeping that perfect pace up for the rest of my life is not possible or realistic for me. So every morning I will recommit to doing my best that day with whatever life throws me. That is realistic, but by no means perfect.

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Am I allowed to comment on the awesomeness of my own posts??! :) Barbie

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what Barbie is saying as we all do. I am just starting my 3rd week, and although I did miss a couple workouts I am not going to get down on myself and just get back into it. In the past I have always hit that wall and never trying to climb it. This time I will, this time I will finish in 6 weeks. Whether I lose 5 lbs or 15 lbs just knowing I finish it will be enough.

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Right, and it's not a sprint, a one shot deal. You have time to get to your destination! You will get there.

Lisa B said...

Once again Coach Barbie hits the nail on the head! Tomorrow I am starting my 3rd week of P90X and earlier this week I had a couple of days of despair (It's too hard, I'm not getting anywhere, etc.). But, I kept eating clean and pushed play every day. Yesterday, during Kenpo, I got my mojo back and I'm ready to really BRING IT with Chest and Back tomorrow. Thank you oh wise Barbie!