My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

If There's One Thing I've Learned...


If there's one thing I have learned from being a coach is knowing that it's okay to ask for help and that in many cases, having a good coach can be the determining factor of whether the person sinks or swims. Wait, that's two things I have learned. Ah, who cares, let me just go on to say what I want to say.

Goodness, when did my blog become a personal diary? But, do I care? Of course not, no.

Anyway...

When folks write to tell me that they could not have done it without me, I often don't believe them. I helped, but I did not make it happen is what I often say. I still know and believe that to be true. But, tonight, perhaps for the first time ever, I see that sometimes we need, yes, need that extra support, guidance, or kick in the rear end.

I'm not plugging coaching tonight, kids, I'm a little too self-involved for that at this very moment.

For the past few months I feel like I have been spinning my wheels with this book I am in the process of writing, but that doesn't seem to be getting written. I had a moment of pure frustration, followed by revelation the other day. Why, I asked, is it that I am able to provide my writer friends and students with good feedback, my coachees with good coaching, yet no one seems to offer me the kind of help that I need. Why is life so unfair, I asked.

Oh, Barbie, stop the freaking pity party, pleeeze, I finally said to myself sometime last week. What's stopping you from asking for help? Why don't you get yourself a coach? an editor? something! Why don't you seek out the help that you need. "Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for your own life." Isn't that the message I repeat over and over as a BeachBody coach?

Why had I never thought of asking for help with my writing?

My giant ego was probably clouding my brain and did not let me have the thought.

Boys and girls, I did it. In The Success Principles, Jack Canfield says that all we have to do sometimes is ask. So I did. I wrote to a leading person in my field and within two days she offered to help me with my work...at no charge. (Truly I cannot express my gratitude and feeling of good fortune.)

Um, that was easy.

Now comes the hard part. I take a deep breath and sigh. The road ahead is going to be long and arduous. I want to coach, teach, and complete a book, and I want to do them all well. The biggest challenge for me will be sitting down to put in the long hours necessary to complete this book.

I knew that if I asked for help and that if the person said yes, that I would have to hold up my end of the deal. I cannot let her or myself down. As far as I'm concerned, there is no turning back. I don't want to turn back. I'm ready to move forward.

I am terrified and excited. I don't like being a trapeze artist. I like being in control. But, wait, I am. Finally, these wheels can stop spinning.

Not once have I heard that things that are worth having come easily.

Bring it!

Barbie, PhD

3 comments:

Heather B. said...

Barbie

I am so proud of you! You will get this book accomplished! And you are a true inspiration to many! Keep up your hard work and determination! It will pay off in the end, and in the mean time we all support you and learn from you.

-Heather

Coach Jenny said...

Atah girl! Why don't they help? because one needs to ask for it! People don't read our minds, do they? he-he...Good luck with the book! You can do it!-Jenny

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Thanks for the love and support, ladies. :) Jack Canfield rocks! He's taught me to ask. Ask and you SHALL receive!