My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Need to Recharge


Dear Boys and Girls,

A few weeks ago I went into overdrive for a week in order to meet a deadline for a research article I had been working on since January of this year. While it was challenging to work under intense pressure, it was exhilarating to see myself be so productive.

Having met my deadline on Monday, August 3rd, I vowed to continue that rate of productivity. For the past two weeks I have been showing up daily at my desk to work on my research and I have been showing up daily on the mat to bring it. But, I admit, I've just been showing up. Despite my desire to work hard (both with my research and workouts), I just haven't had that much steam.

I work with an academic coach who helps me set goals and who acts as my personal cheerleader. When I told her today that I felt sluggish and lazy, she asked me, "Have you had any down time since you finished your article?"

Um, no.

The light bulb went on. Boys and girls, the brain, like the body, needs to recharge. I think my poor brain is feeling a little burnt out, which has been affecting my level of enthusiasm and energy. It's like I want to bring it, but I just haven't felt the stamina to do all the things I want to do! Isn't it frustrating when your body and brain don't cooperate with your desires?!

So: upon my coach's recommendation, I'm going to "cut myself some slack" by giving my research a break for a week. Somehow, that makes me uneasy. Could it be that I don't know how to relax? I guess there's a part of me that thinks that I will turn into a sloth.

But, I know I need it. For the past week, I have been waking up feeling tired despite sufficient sleep. It's a definite sign that I need to take a break.

So, for the next few days, I'm not going to think about work and I'm going to let my body's restorative powers do their thing. In a week, I hope to have my super mojo back.

Cuz this Barbie wants to bring it! Oh, poop, don't you wish the journey were always easy? Well, it's not! Now, let's just relax.

Om,
Barbie, PhD

No comments: