My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Harness the Power of the Sun


I once met a massage therapist who shared her dream with me of starting her own training clinic and of writing a book in her field. Truly, this woman had healing hands; I felt it the moment she touched me and turned me into a pretzel. There was no doubt in my mind that with magic hands and knowledge like hers, she should be leading others in her field to excellence.

I couldn't help myself, the teacher in me asked her what her game plan was for getting from where she is to where she wants to be. Perhaps it was the endorphins being released in me, but I even offered my help to edit the book and to serve as a practice dummy for her clinics. Her excitement was contagious and I had a sincere desire to see this woman live out her dream. But, it only took me a few minutes to sense that as excited as she was about her dreams of opening a clinic and publishing a book, the likelihood of her achieving her goals was slim.

The woman with the midas touch had her eggs in too many baskets. Her time and energy were everywhere, and by that I mean all over the place, in other jobs, other projects, and other businesses ideas. To succeed, I thought, she would need to focus. I detached from her dreams, enjoyed my massage, and I must admit, with a bit of disappointment and less enthusiasm, I went on to listen to her speak about her many other projects and ideas.

In writing of this woman, I am not passing judgment. Please don't misunderstand me. John Donne's often-quoted phrase comes to mind, "Do not send to ask for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." In writing about her, I am writing about me, about each one of us, and our tendency to place our energy and focus everywhere, which eventually leads us nowhere.

In his "Goals" seminar, Ziglar asks us to reflect on what happens when you constantly move a magnifying glass around over a newspaper in the hot burning sun. The answer is nothing. He then asks what happens when you take that same magnifying glass and hold it very still under the same hot burning sun. The answer is clear: you create a spark and eventually a fire.

Boys and girls, the lesson is there for all of us. We have got to "harness the power of the sun" by focusing on our goals if we want to achieve them!

"You must have those goals. You cannot make it as a wandering generality. You must become a meaningful specific."

Have you made your goals? Have you written them down? Are you ready to ignite that fire?

Come on! Let's Bring it!

Barbie, PhD

No comments: