My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Sunday, November 16, 2008

As Lean As I Wanna Be: P90X Plus Hybrid




A few folks have asked me to list my hybrid workout routine for P90X Plus. The truth is that I don't remember exactly what I've done over the past 8 weeks. But, wait! Before you judge, know that there has been order and reason to my routine!

First, I decided that I wanted to follow the LEAN vs. CLASSIC routine. My goal was to lean out, that is, to acquire a longer, slimmer physique. When I did the Classic version of P90X this past summer, I put on a lot of muscle. I looked strong, but I didn't like the way I looked. I, um, kinda felt like a football player. Looking back, my calories were also on the high side (about 2000/day), which definitely contributed to my bulked up look.

The lean version of both the X and the X Plus recommends that you do two resistance workouts per week: upper body and lower body. The rest of the days are a mix of cardio/core/yoga.

With that in mind, I decided that I would do Total Body Plus on Monday and Upper Body Plus on Thursday. The rest of the four days would be a mix of Turbo Jam, P90X Plus, and Ten Minute Trainer.

All was good...until I discovered Shaun T's ROCKIN' BODY and fell in love. I often alternate between Upper Body Plus and Rock it Out because both focus on Upper Body Work. When I have to do Lower Body or Total Body, I have more options: I can do Total Body Plus, Turbo Sculpt, or even Slim Series. It really depends what I'm in the mood for!

The most important thing for me has been to make sure that I do get my resistance work in. Without it, I would be skinny, but flabby. Not the look I am going for!

My calorie intake has been about 1500 calories or so. A few weeks ago, a friend introduced me to THE ZONE meal plans. It follows a 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat breakdown, but the idea behind the zone is to eat foods with the lowest glycemic index and to have the right combination of carbs, protein, and fat with each and every meal. I can tell you, it has made all the difference. I also try my very best to not cheat during the week and to limit my cheating to one meal a week. I have not always been successful with that! The good news is that perfection is not necessary.

I know we are always arriving, but finally, I feel as if I have arrived!

Bring it!

Barbie, PhD

No comments: