My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Friday, December 5, 2008

The Learning Curve


Hey, Boys and Girls!

I have fifteen minutes before I head over to an end-0f-the-year-celebration at work. Once again, I must come face to face with platters of cheese, muffins, cakes, cookies, and alcohol. Since I'm not the best driver, saying no to alcohol will not be a problem. I won't drink an ounce if I'm going to drive....which brings me to today's topic: the learning curve.

It's been three months since I started driving and purchased a new car (affectionately named Debbie). Within my first week of ownership, I scratched the whole side of the car while going up a turn in the parking garage. For the life of me now I have no idea how I could have done that--there was plenty of room!

Getting into that car the past three months has always been anxiety-producing at some level. While I've had my license for years, as a New Yorker, I've never put it to use...and I'm just not that great of a driver. It's okay, I have other redeeming qualities!

But, guess what? This past week I noticed that people are no longer honking at me every two minutes (yes, they really were) and I noticed that I'm much more relaxed, and dare I say it, I might actually enjoy driving. Don't get me wrong, if I had an option, I'd let the passenger drive. But there is no passenger, so Daisy has to drive herself wherever she needs to go. I'm unstoppable, remember?

Had I let the fear of driving get in the way, the thinking that I'd never get better at it, I'd still be stuck at home, as bad a driver as I was three months ago. I'm getting better and better. There is always a learning curve in life, with Slim in 6, P90X, and with any other project or endeavor we take on.

The best way to learn how to do something is to do it. The only way to make progress is to get started. I'm constantly pushing beyond my comfort zone. It's the only way to grow.

That said, I'm outta here. It has been 13 minutes and I have places to go!

Bring it!

Barbie, PhD

No comments: