My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Power90. The Perfect Program After All



Dear Boys and Girls,

Up until last year, I had always been one to poo-poo Power90. Yes, yes, I guess I was a P90X snob and I didn't even know it. As a coach, I hardly ever recommended Power90. I thought it was too easy, too outdated, too not extreme enough. How very dumb and how very wrong I was!

I began to shift my thinking after seeing my boyfriend Jason's results. That program gave him these results, I thought?!


I had better shift my thinking and I'm glad I did. I recently recommend Power90 to a friend who has about 50 lbs to lose.

Being physically present to witness my friend Aaron going through the first P90 workouts was such a learning experience for me. I realized that:

1. Power90 will kick your butt if you are out of shape, but it will do so in a way that will make you fitter without defeating you. Many folks start with P90x. I now truly believe that that is a mistake. P90X is not a beginner program. It's too much, too soon.

Ease into it, folks, if you plan to stick with it. Starting with P90X may be setting yourself up to fail. P90 is a great program that will prepare you for the X. No question about it.

2. It's okay to pause if you're tired or if you are trying to figure out how to do the moves. The folks on the screen look so fit and coordinated. But, remember, they have been at it for a while. Besides, they are supposed to model perfect form. If you're just beginning, it's unreasonable, I think, to hold yourself up to that same standard. You will eventually get there. In the meantime, HIT PAUSE!

3. Embracing a healthy lifestyle is a process. Up until this weekend I think I expected people to commit and follow the suggested meal plan perfectly. It was simple for me, I thought, it should be simple for you. All you have to do, I told myself, is commit. I am now realizing that it's not always a one step process. It is okay to make gradual changes. That said, if you're the type to complain that you're not seeing results fast enough, then it is time to step it up in the kitchen. If you mess up, get up, dust yourself off, and continue with the game plan. Persistence and commitment pay off.

If you've been out of the game for a while, are looking for a program that is straight forward, not boring, and inexpensive, Power90 might be the perfect solution for you.

Here's to your fitness,

Barbie, PhD

No comments: