My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

So I Hear You Want Abs Like That



Dear Boys and Girls,

As a result, I think, of me posting my latest progress pictures, I've been getting tons of emails from folks asking 1. about my diet and 2. how long it took me to get my results.

It's wonderful that folks are asking what exactly I eat because my results have gotten many to pay attention and see that eating clean makes all the difference in the world. If you want to see results, you really do have to eat clean. There is no way around it. Yes, you really are what you eat. Period.

Now, the question of what I eat is usually accompanied by another question: How long did it take for you to get abs like that or to get ripped like that?

I'm known and loved for my honesty, so please love me even though I don't think you'll like what I'm going to say:

Many of the folks asking these questions are those who still see themselves as having more than just a few odd pounds to lose. I can completely understand wanting to see a change in your body, but know that my transformation has been a long process, that the majority of people, including myself, do not get abs in 90 days.

If you have more than 5 lbs to lose (and I'm making that number up), chances are that you're not going to see abs any time soon and that's ALRIGHT! It's a process, a journey. You don't go from a size 14 to a 2 in a month or even four. It's taken me TWO FULL YEARS to get to this point and I have been committed to my fitness from day 1. If you have 10, 15, 25, 100 lbs to lose, I would say that before you start worrying about when your abs are going to come in, you should probably focus on goals that are more short term and realistic: for example, going from a size 10 to an 8, losing an inch off your waist, or feeling better. Having "a ways to go" and wanting to see abs in the near future do not go hand in hand for most folks. So, relax, folks! And I really do say that with a loving heart.

One of my coachee's thanked me yesterday for keeping it real, for not trying to make people believe that this is a quick solution. Pardon my language, peeps, but heckkkkkkk no, I'm not going to do that! Anything worth doing takes work. Beachbody has gotten rid of the guess work, but you still have to put in the work and the commitment. If you're looking for a quick fix, Beachbody is not the answer. Neither is Barbie.

If you're looking to lose weight and get fit, I recommend following a balanced meal plan (40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat), tracking your meals with www.fitday.com, and making sure you eat 4-6 small meals per day. You can find a 1400 calorie meal plan on my blog by searching for "1400 calorie skeleton" and "The Slim Spot Challenge."

My diet is pretty bland right now and there isn't much variety to it. If you're just starting out, eating the way I do at this point would probably drive you crazy. Now, if you're looking to drop those last pesky pounds and willing to give up dairy, most red meat except bison, sauces, including low fat dressing, and if you're willing to not add any extra salt to your diet and eat only oatmeal and sweet potato as your dry carbs, then you can find my meal plan posted on my blog. Do a search for "clean eating" and you'll find it. I honestly have to say that eating that way is not for most people and it really does take a lot of discipline. You've been warned! :)

I hope this helps. I want to see you succeed on your journey and to do that, you need to focus on your weekly goals and learn to celebrate the small successes. Stop and smell the roses, even if that rose is a pair of pants that don't fit as snug as they did a month ago.

Happy Holidays, friends. I'm glad to be sharing in this journey with you.

Barbie, PhD

1 comment:

Maxine said...

Again, great advice Barbie! Last night at my RPM class, I had a newbie who has barely exercised ask how I can peddle that fast and not look like I'm dying; it takes T-I-M-E. :)