My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

After the Shoot: Back to Fitness


Dear Boys and Girls,

It's been almost a week since I blogged. Yikes! I'm sorry! The last few days have been tough and since the photoshoot, I've just been trying to catch up with life!

The shoot came and went. I have to admit, it was tougher and slightly less fun than I had imagined. It was tough to flex my abs, quads, biceps, and smile all the while striking a pose! Aside from that, though, there were certain moments where I felt like I was inhabiting someone else's FIT body. I have never been this fit and it felt strange and good to see, yes, a six-pack! I am fitter than I ever imagined I could be.

I soooo wish I could share the pictures with you, but I have to let the judges see them first. Boys and girls, I have to build the suspense and anticipation! I will say this: I feel that all my hardwork has paid off. I am incredddddibly fit.

But, oh, life is never uncomplicated for anyone. I returned to school today after a break of a month and a half. My body has changed a lot since early December. I've only lost about 3 or 4 lbs, but I'm now super duper lean....and I just knewww that my colleagues would comment on how "thin" I was.

And of course, I'm not kidding, really, every single person I ran into this morning had something to say. One person even asked me if I had been sick, although, he noted, "You don't look sick. You look good. It's just so..."

What? strange to be FIT??

By 9 am, I wanted to hide in my office. After just 2 or 3 comments, I had to literally remind myself that confidence is key. I couldn't let their shocked, curious, concerned faces get to me. I know I'm fit, healthy, and happy. Who knew, being very fit can sometimes make you an outsider ...in certain circles. Tonight at a group fitness class, a woman I don't know came up to me and said, "I really like your body. Congratulations, I know you must work very hard."

I realized today just how important it is to have a strong sense of self. Part of me wanted to stuff my face at work so I could fit in. But, instead, I had my regularly programmed snack and later ate my sweet potato, chicken, and salad in my office with the door closed.

Today, I admit, was a challenge. I wish I could say that I'm immune to people's idiotic comments, but I'm not. Ahh, yes, Barbie, there is still room for growth. I think that might be a good thing. :)

Yup, we are always arriving.

Barbie, PhD

4 comments:

screwdestiny said...

Isn't that just sad? We live in a society where it's so normal to be overweight and unhealthy that when someone has a truly fantastic, healthy body, it's seen as abnormal. That's ridiculous. Don't let their comments get to you, Barbie. I know how it is though. If I ever mention my weight or that I exercise or anything around people it's always, "Oh, you should gain some weight!" Uh, no I shouldn't. Why would I want to gain weight? I'm not anorexic. So it must be tough to not have most people simply congratulate you for working hard and being so healthy, but hey, that's what BeachBody's for, right? :)

By the way, can't wait to see your pics!!

Maxine said...

I hear ya...People cannot conceive that it more than just losing weight and being fit; that it's about being fit! One lady keeps making puke noises when I eat my brown rice cakes...I don't have the immaturity to do the same when she is eating her cancer chicken fingers. In the end though, pre-maturing aging is a bitch and she's got all the visible signs!

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

It really is sad. It's just wiiiild that people feel authorized to comment when you're fit or thin. MAJL, incredible that someone would do that, but I've seen stiff like that myself. I told someone once, "I eat, I just don't eat pigs in a blanket. That's junk."

Im the relative newbie at work, so politically My best option is to let it slide off me. It's hard though. And yes, that's what BB is for. I really felt that yesterday: a community of support.

Mel said...

Dear Barbie!
You became an inspiration for us, brazilans girls.
I will follow you.
Have a nice day.
ks. MEl