My Updated Transformation: A 2-Year Journey

My Beachbody Top Coach Video and Transformation!

Facebook Badge

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

From Here to There In a Jiffy


Dear Boys and Girls,

Today I received two questions:

The first was from one of my coaches (Hi, Donna!). She wanted to know what made me kick it into high gear. What made me give up the weekly (almost weekly!) margaritas and do what it takes to get from where I was to where I have always wanted to be. She thought my answer might help both her and the folks she coaches.

The second question was from someone on Facebook who wanted to know which program, Chalean Extreme or P90X, would get them more ripped.

(Actually, I received a third email from a man I coach. He wanted to know what else he could do to get abs on round 2 of the X.)

They are both valid questions, but I guess in the questions is the assumption, I THINK, that we can go from flabby to super fit without going through the necessary middle step of just getting fit. We all have to pay our dues and that takes TIMMMMME.

Does that make sense?

In my response to Donna I said, instead of seeking to kick it into HIGH gear (by giving up alcohol, dairy, and other stuff like I did eventually), how about just kicking it into gear? Had someone told me to give up dairy or alcohol altogether when I first started with Slim in 6 two years ago, I probably would have crashed and burned. Too much restriction, too soon. Slow and steady wins the race. Oh, and my favorite saying: Change is a process. It really is!

Why worry about kicking it into high gear if you're still struggling to press play 5-6 times a week and to eat clean consistently, day after day, week after week. Conquer that, and then think of the next step.

As for the program that will get you more ripped, the truth is they all will. Well, P90X and CE are both awesome programs. CE focuses more on legs and I personally love what it did for my body, more so than the X. But there is lasting charm to P90X. But really, it's a matter of preference. If you want to get ripped, you have to clean it up in the kitchen, and then clean it up some more, and maybe some more. You have to pay your dues.

Great abs are made in the kitchen. YES, Hallelujah. Great abs and a lean body also take, for most people, a heck of a lot of time, a lot of work, and dedication.

Sure, some people are genetically predisposed for great abs. I can tell you that I work like a dog for mine. Life's not fair. I'm fine with that. I'm willing to put in the work.

Are you?

Persistence. Consistency. Commitment. Time. All of these will produce great results over time. Period.

Now go get it.

Barbie, PhD




4 comments:

Pam said...

I love this, Barbie - wonderful, usable advice. Slow and steady DOES win the race. You're so gifted at communicating what people need to hear in a way that they can understand and put to use in their own lives. Rather than be discouraged or bummed that there are no short cuts, they can be lifted up and motivated to still move forward in health and fitness.
Thanks!

Coach Barbie, PhD said...

Thanks, Pam! I didn't want to come off jerky. Why get bummed, just WORK! :) Hugs!

Unknown said...

You can't start you car out in 5th gear. You have to go through first, then second and so on. The first step is to take the first step!

screwdestiny said...

Great post. Everything you said was spot on. I think I'm one of those people genetically predisposed to great abs, but I have to work very hard to make my legs look great, so I think it evens out.